This is an archived post taken from the January 2013 edition of KrantzWellness News.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 6 Servings
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves chopped garlic (chop 15 minutes before cooking)
- 6 cups of water
- 1 1/2 cups dried lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 2 large or 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a soup pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute over medium heat, about 10 minutes.
- Add the water, lentils, sweet potatoes, and seasonings.
- Bring to a rapid simmer, then lower the heat.
- Cover and simmer gently until the lentils and potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes.
- Optional: Can add a dollop of plain yogurt or goat cheese when serving.
*Based on a recipe in the book Vegetarian Soups for All Seasons by Nava Atlas